Equipment Needed: set of medium weights (8-12 lbs), yoga mat or soft surface, step/chair
How This Workout Works: Perform each exercise for 12 reps, alternating legs as needed. Be sure to squeeze your glutes at the top portion for each exercise. Work through all the exercises with little to no rest time in between. Start with just one round of these exercises and then work up to 3 rounds as you get more advanced. Perform this workout twice a week, with at least 2 rest days in between.
1. Half Squat
- Stand as tall as you can with your feet spread shoulder-width apart.
- Lower your body until your thighs are parallel to the ground by pushing your hips back and bending your knees.
- Pause, then slowly push yourself back to the starting position.
2. Straight Leg Glute Kick Backs
- Start on all fours, with the spine in a neutral position.
- Draw midsection in. Tighten stomach. Slowly extend one leg with toes pointed away from the body.
- Keep leg straight. Hold for two seconds.
- Lower leg to the ground.
- Repeat for 12 repetitions on each leg.
3. Dumbbell Dead-lift
- Hold a pair of dumbbells at your side.
- Stand straight with your legs shoulder-width apart and your knees slightly bent.
- Bend forward at the waist while keeping your back straight and lower the dumbbells to over the top of your feet until you feel a stretch on the hamstrings.
- Extend your hips and waist back up to the starting point.
4. Single Leg Squat with Kick-Back
- Stand with your feet touching.
- Hold your hands comfortably in front of your chest or on your hips, and bend your knees, lowering your hips deeply so your thighs are parallel with the floor.
- Be sure to keep weight back in your heels. Then rise back up, straightening the legs completely, and lift the left leg behind you for a back kick.
- Lower the foot back to the floor in a narrow squat position.
- Do another squat, then straighten the leg, do a back kick with the right leg, and step the right foot back to meet the left. This counts as one rep.
- Do 12 reps for each leg.
5. Goblet Squat
- Stand with your feet wider than shoulder width with toes pointed slightly out.
- Hold your dumbbell at chest level with both hands.
- Keeping your back flat, push your hips back, bend your knees, and lower your body until your thighs are parallel to the floor and your elbows touch your knees.
- With your weight focused in your heels, push yourself up to the starting position.
6. Donkey Kicks
- Get on all fours on mat (hands under shoulders, knees under hips).
- Keeping right knee bent 90 degrees, flex right foot and lift knee to hip level.
- Lower knee without touching floor; lift again.
- Switch legs; repeat. Do 12 reps for each leg. 45 yr old woman watches her MUFFIN TOP vanish doing this
7. Step Up
- To start, place your entire right foot onto the bench or chair.
- Press through your right heel as you step onto the bench, bringing your left foot to meet your left so you are standing on the bench.
- Return to the starting position by stepping down with the right foot, then the left so both feet are on the floor.
- Complete 12 steps leading with the left foot, then repeat another 12 steps leading with your left foot.